Monday, May 30, 2016


Another day without the REST of the TOOLS....

Picked up a HVLP gun at Harbor Freight for 13 bucks.  It's shipped with the needle with some sort of grease.  Pulled the needle out, cleaned it with mineral spirits.  Ran some 50/50 mineral spirits and water through the gun to clean out any thing else it may have that I couldn't reach with the tiny brush cleaner it came with.  I also ran acetone thru it to clean it up more and have it dry quickly.  Next...Need to wait for the TOOL KIT to ARRIVE so use the scotch brite pads to scuff up the elevators to prime with AKZO to move one to final assembly.



Throughout the day, I skipped around in the plans minus the empennage attachment section and fabricated all the pieces minus deburring.  Thats the pile of parts completed today.  I couldn't find anything else to make or do so this was the last of the work until the tools arrive.


This is my first mistake!  I cut ALL the tail cone J-channels incorrectly.  The J-channel in front is cut incorrectly.  The one behind is curt correctly.  This really took a toll on me.  But mistakes happen and I will learn from this for sure.  Check and check, and check 5 more times before you cut.  Minor detail but still it's wrong.  I was able to use all the long (already cut wrong)  J-channels and repurpose them for the shorter J-channels called out in the plans.  I'll call vans in the morning and order new 8' j-channels.


This is the correct cut, straight on the flat part, 45 degree not the J


Thats it for now till the tools arrive.....lol


No comments:

Post a Comment