Sunday, May 29, 2016



Still waiting on tools.  Its Sunday and no one is delivering today.  Not UPS, not FedEX, not USPS, NO ONE.  Oh well, I'll skip ahead on the plans and work on something else to make my time productive.  


Picked up 3 hinges and a 2"X8"X 8' that the store cut in half for me.  I could have made the cut at home but didn't wan't to whip out, setup the saw and make a mess for just one cut.  Since I was in the sedan, it was easier to transport too, in the trunk.  



Made a home made break per the plans.  I put in the trim tab and bam, it was bent further.  Not sure why its not bent to it's final angle from factory but oh well, done deal.  I'll set the break aside in case someone wants to borrow it or till the next build....huh???lol.  Oh did I mention I have been loving the build process so far.   Totally up my alley.




Next up was to bend down the trim tab "tabs".  I clamped the skin tight with a c-clamp using wood to protect the skin.  I used a 1/2" scrap piece of plywood about 4" long 2" wide and went at it with a hammer.  I layed the end of the plywood on top of the tab and hit the wood with the hammer firmly. Not blasting away at it but firmly.  As the tab began to bend, the plywood just followed the angle till it was at the desired 90 degree bend.


I used 2 clamps to ensure the skin didn't move.    I did all 8 tabs this way.  Easy peasy.



Next, I cut the elevator counter balance weights.  The band saw made quick work of this task.  Since lead can be nasty, I dawned the safety glasses and respirator.  


Yup, thats me.  Glad I had the safety gear on, The lead was everywhere despite the vacuum connected to the band saw.  


 If you notice I'm jumping all over the place, thats because I'm looking for tasks in the plans that can be done with out the tools in the mail.  Instead of stopping cause I can't get past a step due to missing tool, or what ever the case may be in the future, I skipping along.  When the task is done, I mark the plans the date the step was complete.  Stay tuned....More to come....   Thanks for following!


No comments:

Post a Comment