Friday, May 27, 2016

Updates on Vertical Stab

The blue stuff I found around some of the rivets was blue tape put on the flat rivet set to prevent marring of the skins.  So that is a non issue now.

Next, this is the email reply from vans regarding the rear spar cap doubler:

This gap looks to me like they missed a step in dimpling/countersinking and you may possibly have a dimple sitting on a flat piece to create this gap. It could also just simply be that when this part was match drilled to the spar it was not clamped tight against the flange. Either way this is not a very desirable situation. I would recommend you dismantle and fix.

Sterling

Van's Aircraft

I'll drill out the left side of the spar cap to make sure there are dimples.  Next I'll put plenty of clamps down to keep the cap flush to the spar then rivet.  I'll put this on hold for now until I have some experience under my belt with drilling out rivets.




No comments:

Post a Comment